From the one-room, Amish schoolhouse in West Nickel Mines, PA to Sandy Hook, CT and Parkland, FL; Americans are being issued constant reminders of the vital need to secure its schools.
As someone who is Board Certified in Security Management and a registered expert witness in the standard of care for security/safety; A. Benjamin Mannes has been working to get public, faith-based and private school systems. Now, Mannes is teaming up with SERAPH, a national pioneer in school safety; to help schools take pragmatic steps in securing their environments, to include:
- Conducting professional climate/threat/security assessments of their facilities to gauge vulnerabilities,
- Reviewing their internal policies and staff responsibilities relating to security,
- Develop a notification and investigative response plan for when red flags are identified,
- Conduct training of staff members to promote vigilance, and
- Review physical security measures in their facilities, and identify cutting-edge technological solutions to assist them.
As Mannes has secured operations and institutions from federal buildings and healthcare certification organizations to Catholic Schools for over two decades; he was already partnering with SERAPH founder and federally-certified Forensic Profiler Dale Yaeger on investigative engagements. However, the deadly Parkland High School shooting in Florida motivated the two to work together in creating a new, streamlined initiative to give a schools a simple, top-down look at their security vulnerabilities; and low-cost ways they can prevent, mitigate and respond to possible threats.
This combination of strengths represents the most robust capabilities in school security assessment, planning and training in North America. In 1989, SERAPH designed and performed the first U.S. School Security Management Audit . SERAPH’s research work on school safety and the prevention of violence has been published in:
Furthermore, in 2000, SERAPH was asked to provide a report on the “State of School Safety in America” to members of the US Senate Judiciary Committee; and has provided three reports to Congress between 2000 and 2008 on School Security. SERAPH has over 30,000 school clients in the U.S. and has worked in Canada, South America and Western Europe.
As the national media discussion predictably shifts to issues like Gun Control and Mental Health; it is vital that America’s schools assess their ability to prevent and react to these threats now; while the nation works on these long-term related issues. This new partnership between Mannes & SERAPH hopes to show America’s educators from Pre-K to Graduate School that there are low-cost, effective measures to secure facilities and notify authorities on possible dangers that can be accomplished immediately; in compliance with federal regulations and within the budgetary constraints.
Therefore, consider contacting us in immediately reviewing your school protocols for:
- School Liability Reduction
- School Safety & Security Assessments
- Liaison with Law Enforcement, Federal [DOE] & State Departments of Education for funding and/or partnership opportunities.
- Compliance with federal – Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) and State assessment & school safety regulations.
- Planning, preparation and review of revised school codes of conduct.
- Investigative training & case review consulting for student or employee disciplinary matters.
- Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) consulting
- Gangs & school safety training
- Identification of student aggression & violence patterns
- Prevention & mitigation of parent aggression
- Truancy and lateness reduction planning
- School emergency management planning
- Reduction training & planning for bullying in schools
- Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) compliance planning & assessment
Why should most office buildings, banks, and public venues have better security than our schools? All would agree that our children are a resource worth protecting, and simply hoping that it doesn’t happen on your campus is not an option anymore.
Protect your staff and students. Reduce your liability. Contact us today.